29 April 2008

SCREEN PLACARD: FIRST FORMAL EXPLORATIONS

CONCEPT 1: EVENING IN VERSUS EVENING OUT

Planning on using my pillow, teacup, and television icons, I found imagery that would juxtapose against them to convey the idea that an evening spent quietly at home is less detrimental than an evening spent out drinking, eating, and going to clubs, etc. I linked the pillow with alcohol, the teacup to eating out, and the television to nightlife entertainment.
alcohol
eating out
nightlife entertainment
hand-drawing overlays


CONCEPT 2: SIMPLE RURAL LIFESTYLE

In this group, I was using my cigarettes, television, and bundt pan icons, linking them to stereotypical people living the simple, small town lifestyle. With this theme, I was thinking that it conveyed the sense that these people's lives aren't going anywhere... they will be in the same position today as they will be on the day they die- thus, my title, 'Last Will'.
acetone transfer exploration 1, with vellum overlay
acetone transfer exploration 2

Sceenprinting exploration 1:
housewife cooking (bundt pan icon)
man on tractor smoking (cigarette icon)
fat man on sofa (television icon)


Screenprinting exploration 2:




CONCEPT 3: CHILDHOOD MEMORIES FROM AN ELDERLY POINT OF VIEW

Here, my teacup icon linked with a juice box image, my pillow icon with a teddy bear, and cigarette icon with a lollipop. These are meant to give the impression of an elderly person remembering childhood memories and the objects that they used to use as a small child in comparison to the ones they would be using today.
initial brainstorming
creating three-dimensional lollipops for my little shadow-box exploration
three-dimensional teddy bears



shadow box exploration, with depth-collagingfamily photographs, to be used in my stitching exploration of my childhood memories theme
stitching on glassine, overlayed on copied family photographs

glassine laid flat over imagery

1 comment:

jamie said...

Wonderful and expansive exploration here Laura.

The stitch glassine translated well to digital here (with the fold and flip). Maybe you can do something with that sometime too.

For your final placards, work out revealing/hinting that it is in fact "a box" for the viewer with your cropping.